Writing Up The Top Commenters Widget Installer

I've just posted the widget installer on Blogger Buster for people to use the "Top Commenters" widget in their blogs.

Phew, I have to say it's something of a relief to finally have this up and running! I was experimenting and coding for eight hours straight last night until I'd got the installation down to a tee. Then as I (finally) went to bed, I remembered some other tweaks I could make, and other things which I really ought to include.

Back to the drawing board again this morning! I finally completed this about 1 minute after I'd originally meant to post! But I'm so glad that I did this: now I have the knowledge and tools available to me so I can create customizable widget installers for so many other Blogger widgets too.

Like a Flickr photostream for instance...

Generally speaking, I'm not too bad at JavaScripting, but I'd never truly mastered inserting variables from a form into another JavaScript element. Had to learn all about that, plus how to parse XML to properly display as items in an ordered list!

Eventually I may post a full write up of the process (wonder how many A4 pages that would take up..?).

For now, if you want to show a list of your blog's top commentators, go install the widget now and see for yourself how this works :)

Comments